Angkor Wat |  Cities |  Laos |  Kinmen |  Myanmar |  Penghu |  People |  China Portraits

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Brief

It is a wonderful, sunny day. My classes (both teaching and learning) have been cancelled. I have spent most of the day in front of the computer writing, but had a bit of a stroll before to take some pictures. While writing, Ive been listening to NPR on WVXU's webstream, and it has been wonderful to listen to more stories of impending doom everywhere (I esp. enjoyed an interview with the author of American Theocracy, a look at why it is a bad thing to let religious fanatics get a foothold in governments, why it is bad to run trillions of dollars into debt, and why it is bad to rely on oil).

Now I am processing some photos from the last weekend. I went on a bike ride with some other foreigners and some Argentines through various neighborhoods in the city. Will have those posted soon, I hope.

Other than that I am just preparing for the thought of being 30 on Thursday, and contemplating how divergent the reality of my turning 30 is in relation to how I envisioned I would be back when I was 20. I just don't know if the reality is a good or a bad thing relative to all that. I was working on an essay about turning 30 a while back, but it has been sidetracked in the push to finish a typed draft of a novel about China. Perhaps Ill get back to it before too long and share some thoughts.

They do not broadcast the NCAA tournament on ESPN here. Im sure I could see it at some of the sports bars, but my income is not such that I can spend a whole day in a sports bar, let alone a whole weekend. On the bright side, this weekend I get to spend an evening at a 5star resort hotel because my girlfriend's boss is loaded and wants to celebrate his 40th birthday in style...wonder if I'll be able to rent a bunch of rooms for strangers and friends alike at a five star hotel on the occasion of my 40th birthday. Best to not hold my breath!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home