Angkor Wat |  Cities |  Laos |  Kinmen |  Myanmar |  Penghu |  People |  China Portraits

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Why I Don't Write (Anymore)

I notice that, as usual, a decent percentage of the people coming here are coming from the Footprints Recruiting website. If you happen to be reading this and coming from there, start back at the beginning, January, and go on through to June and you will find lots of pictures from Taipei and around Taiwan, and more importantly, you will find a lot of stuff about teaching and life there.

Yesterday it rained for the first time since I've been in Argentina. I felt like I was back in Taipei. Rain coming so hard that an umbrella was meaningless. My shorts were soaked all up the front, and splattered in the back. My new shoes were soaked, squeaking as I walked. Water was pouring down the sidewalks, across the whole sidewalk, a foot deep. Down the street, too, so there was no escape. I was on my way to the gym and had to turn back. I didn't know it rained like that here.

I came back to Nati's house, where I am staying. Her mom made me lunch and I sat down to work on a story. I have been working on stories a lot lately, new stories and old stories, anything that I can submit to magazines. Something I am finally doing.

For a long time now I have found it hard to write here (here being this blog). It started somewhere near the end of my time in China, and then was exacerbated in Myanmar because there was just no chance to do it. When I got home I had nothing to say. Now that I am here, I sit in front of the computer and try to get excited about the idea of writing something for an inconsistent audience that for the most part doesn't know me and more often than not moves on after a quick viewing of whatever is at the top of the page. I try to remember the mornings in Taipei, when I made myself get up at 6 AM to write for a few hours on this blog, even though no more than 10 or 15 people might come by on a given day. It was an excuse to write, and since I did not have the energy to work on stories at the time, it was the best I could do.


There is a lot of traffic outside and it is eleven at night. I've had a busy day. I worked out, took a lot of pictures, worked out a story that is almost ready to send off, figured out a few other things that I want to write, helped Nati tutor a couple of kids and read a book. In less than a week I start my Spanish classes. I don't feel busy yet, but I can feel it coming on. I don't know how much time I will have to write, here anyway.

My undershirt is sticking to my back. I can almost smell the stink starting to take hold on my body. It has been comfortable most of the days and nights here, but tonight it is humid inside. There is the smell of fresh paint because some workers from Peru just painted the front of the house and the door sized shutters on the windows. I am going to stop writing now, and I don't know when I will write on this page again - although I will try to put some more photos up soon. If you do come to this page, and you haven't been here before, and you are interested in Taiwan, or China, or Laos, or Cambodia, or any of the islands around Taiwan, or teaching, then maybe you should see some of the stuff that I posted in the past. Otherwise move on as soon as you come.

Oh, and one final thing. I put a picture up on Ebay. It is called Sunrise over Lake Karakul...no one has bid on it yet. If anyone is feeling charitable, the auction ends on Sunday afternoon (and if not this picture, I will be putting more up there soon, I think)...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Boles said...

I refuse to be conveniently stereotyped as a member of your "inconsistent audience."

10:38 AM  
Blogger reh said...

I will have you know, Alan, that I ferquent your blog and you are very talented. Keep up the great work, but most importantly, keep the faith!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home